• Latest News

    25 Jul 2013

    Ice Prince: My mother paid for my first studio session

     How did you feel when you were announced as the BET African artiste of the year?
     I felt and still feel great and I feel honoured to be holding that torch! It’s more than a blessing for me and I didn’t see it coming at all so I must say I’m truly humbled.

    You beat a lot of heavyweights to clinch the prestigious BET award. What is unique about Ice Prince?
    Ice Prince is real! My music comes from the heart and I guess that speaks for itself. I make music from my experience and things that I witness everyday in life and no matter where I go, I will always remember where I came from.

    You are now on tour in the US. How has the experience been?
    It’s been amazing and the love has been very different from the last time I was there. Apart from just performing here, I’ve been working a lot too on the music and I’m trying to seize every opportunity I have here to make the music bigger before I get back home.

    Being a global brand that you are now, how do you intend to keep up with the game?
    By staying true to myself and constantly giving my fans the best of Ice Prince Zamani. I learn and improve everyday and there’s really no limit to how far I can go!

    From your humble beginnings in Jos to Lagos and now the US, tell us about your background, how music started for you and how you raised your game.
    Music for me started in my secondary school in Jos, I used to mime songs from legends like 2 PAC, Nas, BIG etc at social nights in school and then I started trying to write my own lyrics over the beats instead of just repeating what the original artiste already said on the music. Then I joined the choir in my church at the time and I hooked up with MI and Jesse Jagz and started rolling with them. I would say that everything else I have learnt as to being the musician that I am today, I learnt from MI and Jesse.
    Were your parents in support of your choice to do music professionally?
    My dad was already late before I started taking the music seriously and as for my mum, I would say she was very supportive too before she passed away. I remember my mum paid for my first studio session and I can say that she saw ‘Oleku’ blow up before she died. She was really excited.

    Who were your earliest musical influences?
    Growing up, my musical influences were people like Brenda Fassie, Yvonne Chaka, Luky Dube, Onyeka Owenu because those were my parents’ favorites at the time. I started listening to hip-hop music in my secondary school.

    Your most memorable musical experience?
    I’ve had a lot of memorable experiences in my music journey(thank God) but one that I would stay really stands out was winning the Hennessy artistry competition in 2009 because that was really the first opportunity I had to put my music out there.

    When and how did Chocolate City step in?
    Chocolate City has always been there for me from the time they signed MI. My first contract with them was in 2009 but they’ve always had my back even long before that and I will always appreciate that family because I think they might have the most honest and transparent contracts I’ve seen so far!

    How is life as a Choc Boi?

    Life as a Choc Boi is probably the best thing to ever happen to me as a music artiste. I’m in the same clique with the best writers and the best composers, so don’t be surprised when you see me getting better, it’s only the choc boi in me that’s coming alive. And the bond between us goes beyond the music! We are brothers.

    Are you under any pressure to keep up with the likes of M.I?
    I’m not under any pressure. MI has taught me well and he’s definitely proud of me that I was able to create my own lane and move with it, if not I still would have probably be asking him for money for jeans.

    What is next for Ice Prince after your US tour.
    What’s next after the US tour is a show in Kenya on July 27 with Davido, then a tour across Europe and then September 7 would herald the release of my sophomore album titled, the ‘Fire of Zamani’.

    Your videos are always very colourful. What or who are the brains behind it?
    With my videos, I mostly join heads with my clique of friends, the GRIP Boiz, my management team and whoever the director for the video would be and we try to interprete the song in the best way we can, visually.
    What’s your typical day like?
    I’m a boring type of guy really so I’m mostly indoors making music because I have my personal studio in my house.

    Any album in the making for 2013?

    Yes, the ‘Fire Of Zamani’ which would be released September 7, 2013.

    What is your most expensive item?
    The most expensive item I own is my Range Rover.

    Your favourite fashion accessory?
    I really don’t have a favourite accessory.

    Why are you still single?
    Because too many girls broke my heart.

    What kind of woman tickles your fancy?
     Just a woman that’s real and not scared to fight for her man.

    What future collaborations should fans look forward to?

     A lot! I have a new track with French Montana and then maybe an Ice Prince and Sunny Nneji track
    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    0 blogger-facebook:

    Post a Comment

    Item Reviewed: Ice Prince: My mother paid for my first studio session Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Unknown
    Scroll to Top